Our Ministry of the Forsyth County Detention Center in downtown Winston-Salem is the larger of our two ministries. With approximately 750 inmates in this maximum security facility, there is a lot to do to serve the needs of so many people. Note: programs and activities are not the same at the Forsyth County Detention Center (Jail) and the Forsyth County Correctional Center (prison).
Programs We Offer At The Jail
Worship: Three services every Sunday led by chaplains and volunteers. The current worship schedule is listed in the sidebar.
Bible Study: Tuesday thru Saturday, Bible studies are offered by volunteers from multiple denominations, so every inmate has the opportunity to grow in their knowledge of God.
Clergy Visitation at the Forsyth County Detention Center
Registered ordained clergy and licensed ministers who are associated with a church, Christian group, or other religious order are eligible to receive a non-contact visit with a member of their congregation incarcerated in the jail. These do not count towards the inmate’s two (2) visits per week limit.
The exception is clergy who are an inmate’s family member (parent, sibling, spouse, child, grandparent, or grandchild) are not approved for a special clergy visit with the incarcerated family member.
Do not take any electronic equipment (cell phones, computers, etc.) inside the jail.
Clergy are allowed a thirty (30) minute daily visit in the regular visitation rooms during the following times:
Daily (except Friday): 8 – 9 a.m., 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., 3 – 5:30 p.m.
*Note: Inmate count is at 3:30 daily, length of count varies. All activities cease during this time. As a result ministerial visits may be affected.
Eligibility and Approval for Clergy Visitation
Ordained clergy, licensed ministers, or religious leaders who are associated with a church, Christian group, or other religious order can be approved for Clergy Visitation at the Forsyth County Jail by providing three of the four following elements of proof verifying your status to the Forsyth Jail and Prison Ministries.
These documents include:
- Written documentation of ordination
- Written documentation of holding a church ministry staff position
- Written documentation of a ministry license
- Written documentation of representing a church/religious order
Documentation can be faxed, 336-759-0554, or mailed to the Forsyth Jail and Prison Ministries, P.O. Box 11802, Winston-Salem, NC 27116.
2017 Jail Training
Jail training sessions are for currently approved churches.
Important Notice: All jail volunteers must renew their volunteer status by attending a yearly training session no later than the same month of their last training date. If you have not already done so at prior training sessions, please remember to BRING A PHOTOCOPY of your driver’s license or photo ID to attach to your application.
- Sunday, January 22, 2017, 2:30-4pm – Bethany Baptist Church, 600 Old Hollow Rd, Winston-Salem, NC 27105
- Sunday, April 23, 2017 – 2:30-4pm – St Peter’s World Outreach Center 3683 Old Lexington Rd, Winston-Salem, NC 27107
- Sunday, July 16, 2017 – 2:30-4pm – College Park 1701 Polo Rd, Winston-Salem, NC 27106
- Sunday, October 15, 2017 – 2:30-4pm – Mt. Zion Baptist Church, 950 File Street, Winston Salem NC 27101
2017 Jail Recess/Holiday Schedule
There will be no weekly Jail Bible studies during the following recess dates:
The Sunday worship services will remain scheduled unless otherwise notified. See the jail study recess calendar for other information about jail activities.
- January 3 – January 7
- February 21 – February 25
- April 11 – April 15
- May 30 – June 3
- July 18 – July 22
- September 5 – September 9
- October 24 – October 28
- November 21 – November 25
- December 26 – December 30
Programs are cancelled on these Holidays:
(The Sunday Worship Services will remain scheduled unless otherwise notified).
- Monday, January 16 – Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday
- Friday, April 14 – Good Friday
- Monday, May 29 – Memorial Day
- Tuesday, July 4 – Independence Day
- Monday, September 4 – Labor Day
- Thursday, November 23 – Thanksgiving
- Friday, November 24 – Thanksgiving
- Friday, December 22 (1/2 day) – Christmas
- Monday, December 25 – Christmas
- Tuesday, December 26 – Christmas
Directions to Forsyth County Jail
The Jail is located at 201 N. Church Street, Winston Salem NC 27101
There is plenty of parking on these streets:
• On Second St. E. between N. Main St. and N. Chestnut St. (beside the jail)
• On N. Church St. between Third St. E. and Second St. E. (front of the jail)
• On N. Chestnut St. between Third St. E. and Second St. E. (back of the jail)
And there is more parking in 2 public parking lots:
• Entrance on N. Chestnut St. between Third St. E. and Second St. E. (across from back of the jail)
• Entrance on N. Chestnut St. between Second St. E. and E. First St. (in lower lot beside the jail)